Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Restaurant Week: Abacrombie



Second Baltimore Restaurant Week experience this week. Had a lovely dinner at Abacrombie in Mt Vernon with a couple friends. After having lived in Mt Vernon for nearly three years now, I had hoped I would have dined here sooner but better late than never; definitely a hit. Everything was really great; rich flavors, unique interpretations, but most definitely a subtle and unassuming ambience which was appreciated. The subdued waitstaff allowed for a more laid back experience but expedient service nonetheless. Love the cheese plate peep hole pictured above. I couldn't help but scope the chefs as they perfected their crafts.

First course Carrot Soup was elegant with a hint of heat via cayenne. It was creamy, creamy, creamy...I ate it too fast to take a picture. oops! Other options seemed appealing; beet salad, artisan mac n cheese and quirky onion rings sorta.

On to the entrees...pics below. Please make note, I am as much a visual eater as I am an actual eater so images are essential. Keep in mind, these are not shot by a food stylist.

I chose the Pork confit with Apple Butter and celeriac puree. Really moist pork, warmed apple butter flavor complimented well. The celeriac puree totally threw me off because I had forgotten what this dish was going to be served on. Appearance and consistency told me mashed potatoes, but taste told me otherwise...it was different, but good!

Grilled Shrimp on Risotto with Surryano Ham

Lamb Steak with Roasted Tomatoes and Eggplant Caviar- I thought this dish was inventive and definitely was my second choice.
Braised Short Ribs with Creamed Spinach, Mashed Red Potatoes, Braised Carrots

Butternut Squash Gratin- Parmesan, toasted hazelnuts, brown butter

Everything was very seasonal, obviously seeing as that is sorta their "schtick". Abacrombie is one of the few slow food movement restaurants I am aware of in the Baltimore area.

Desserts were good-ish but I am getting tired of typing. I feel like less emphasis is put on this course with regards to Restaurant week patrons. Across the board, this has been the course that has fallen short more often. I will admit the flourless chocolate cake looked decadent.

Top Chef time and then Bed :)

No comments: